Monday, March 7, 2011

Blog assignment 5

My most significant accomplishment would be the complex layering that I am now able to do. Now I can not only put pictures on top of one another, now I can use mask and photo filters and the complex brush and patch tools to make the layerings very smooth. If you look at my midterm it seems as if the umbrella was already next to the screaming guy. But i used the filters tools to make the surface of the umbrella similar to the figure, and used eraser tools and healing brush tools to make it very smooth.
For me the most challenging part of the course was the selection. It requires patience and very steady hands to select the part, I want to. It was very difficult in the beginning. When the selection suddenly disappears or the pointer suddenly jumps to different area, I got very frustrated. But now, with the knowledge of many shortcut keys and many other tools, it is much easier, and the selection got much smoother.
If you look at my quiz 3 and my midterm, you can see that they both used many techniques. But my midterm has a some kind of meaning, while my quiz doesn't. My quiz seems like a display of techniques, while my midterms shows some big idea incorporated in the art. It is very hard to explain. I feel like denotations or the techniques are similar, but you can certainly "sense" that one is an art while the other is not. I think the quiz is just to please the eyes of the viewer, while the midterm is to make the viewers to feel and to think when they look at the art.

1 comment:

  1. Isaac,
    I really like your examples and our's are very similar actually. The most frustrating part for me was also selections. It was so time consuming and so bothersome at first! Also, I like how you used the idea of layering and filters as your best accomplishment because this can add so much to an image and really make your work original. Also, you used one of your quizzes as a piece that didn't have meaning, just technique. I found that some of my quizzes were the same way. They didn't always get an idea across. Good work!

    ReplyDelete